PDF editing your way

Complete or edit your osha form 301 anytime and from any device using our web, desktop, and mobile apps. Create custom documents by adding smart fillable fields.


Native cloud integration

Work smarter and export osha 301 directly to your preferred cloud. Get everything you need to store, synchronize and share safely with the recipients.


All-in-one PDF converter

Convert and save your osha 301 form as PDF (.pdf), presentation (.pptx), image (.jpeg), spreadsheet (.xlsx) or document (.docx). Transform it to the fillable template for one-click reusing.


Faster real-time collaboration

Invite your teammates to work with you in a single secure workspace. Manage complex workflows and remove blockers to collaborate more efficiently.


Well-organized document storage

Generate as many documents and template folders as you need. Add custom tags to your files and records for faster organization and easier access.


Strengthen security and compliance

Add an extra layer of protection to your oshas form 301 by requiring a signer to enter a password or authenticate their identity via text messages or phone calls.


Company logo & branding

Brand your communication and make your emails recognizable by adding your company’s logo. Generate error-free forms that create a more professional feel for your business.


Multiple export options

Share your files securely by selecting the method of your choice: send by email, SMS, fax, USPS, or create a link to a fillable form. Set up notifications and reminders.


Customizable eSignature workflows

Build and scale eSignature workflows with clicks, not code. Benefit from intuitive experience with role-based signing orders, built-in payments, and detailed audit trail.


Did you like how we did? Rate your experience!

Rated 4.5 out of 5 stars by our customers 561

Award-winning PDF software

review-platform review-platform review-platform review-platform review-platform

How to prepare Osha's Form 301

Open the template
Click on the orange Get Form button and wait around several secs for establishing a good connection. It's necessary to save your level of privacy.
Complete the record
Add your data to all outlined places in OSHA's Form 301. If you come upon some issues, find the Wizard mode on top toolbar and switch it on to get ideas.
Receive the submit
Press Done to access the export menu. Pick the desired format and exporting method: saving to your tool and cloud, or fast mailing for the recipient.

About OSHA's Form 301

What's Included in OSHA Records? OSHA Form 300 Report of All Injuries and Illnesses Resulting in Injurious Substance Contact All injuries or illnesses that result in an employee being in contact with an injurious substance, including blood, sweat, and saliva; fumes or fumes of cleaning fluid; or other substances that irritate or burn the skin are also recorded in case this information is necessary with regard to employee safety. This includes injuries and illnesses including those which occurred while the worker was actually in the workplace and were not a result of another worker's injury or illness. It does not include injuries or illnesses resulting from activities outside the workplace. Medical Certificate Any doctor's report confirming the injury or illness is documented on the report as well, including any prescribed medical treatment. Documented Evidence Documentation which demonstrates the cause of an injury or illness, including a record of the injury or illness and documentation of the incident that caused the injury or illness — whether it be to OSHA, your insurance company, or any other person or agency involved. Medical Notes Any medical notes or records used by the physician to describe the incident are also documented on the report. Employment Verification Letter All documents, such as insurance papers, letter of reference, medical reports, or medical certificate must match the information in OSHA and are kept with those documents. If the records don't, you must follow the process to prove the information you are giving is correct. OSHA Form 311/311A Report of Occupational Injuries and Illnesses Caused by Workplace Hazardous Materials In this form, the worker can describe the incident which caused the injuries or illness. OSHA considers occupational accidents to be injuries and illnesses that result from work where the employer should have known or should have been aware of the presence of material which can be hazardous to health. This form is useful in filing accident claims, and is available online at any OSHA office. See also the OSHA website for details on the information you must include with the OSHA report and the form itself. OSHA Form 311/311M Report of Occupational Injuries and Illnesses Caused by Workplace Hazardous Substances In this form, the worker can describe the incident which caused the injury or illness.

What is the Osha Form 301 report?

Monitoring labor safety is important for every industry. But no matter how much you care about creating a safe workplace, there’s always a chance someone can get injuries, work-related illnesses, and in extreme cases even fatalities. When any of these happens to one of your staff, you should complete the Osha Form 301 to keep a record and describe the incident, and then report it to the Occupational Safety and Health Administration of the US Department of Labor.


There are strict requirements on when employers should communicate the records of traumatic workplace accidents with the authorities:

  1. within 7 days since getting information about an injury or professional diseases;
  2. within 24 hours of any loss of an eye or a limb, or employee hospitalization;
  3. within 8 hours in case of a worker fatality.


The Osha 301 report is not needed for minimal injuries like light cuts or bruises that can be handled on-site with a first aid kit. It’s only necessary for situations where a staff member gets severely hurt. Any time the form is created, it must be kept for the next 5 years, securely storing personal and health data confidentiality.

Important information to add to your Osha 301 incident report

Apart from employee’s basic personal data (the one who got injured at work), you should provide the following details:

  1. Provide as much about the case as possible including the date and exact time and where it occurred on the premises;
  2. Specify what the worker was doing when they got hurt;
  3. Describe in detail how the trauma happened and what it was exactly that caused it;
  4. Mention the trauma in detail: a bone fracture, chemical burn, etc., and where on the body the trauma occurred;
  5. Tell about the physician or other medical professional who gave the aid right after the incident.

Online technologies enable you to to arrange your file administration and boost the efficiency of your workflow. Follow the brief guideline to be able to complete Osha's Form 301, avoid mistakes and furnish it in a timely manner:

How to complete a Osha 301?

  1. On the website hosting the form, press Start Now and go towards the editor.

  2. Use the clues to complete the relevant fields.

  3. Include your personal details and contact information.

  4. Make absolutely sure that you enter appropriate details and numbers in correct fields.

  5. Carefully revise the data of your document as well as grammar and spelling.

  6. Refer to Help section if you have any questions or address our Support staff.

  7. Put an electronic signature on your Osha's Form 301 printable using the assistance of Sign Tool.

  8. Once document is finished, click Done.

  9. Distribute the ready blank by using electronic mail or fax, print it out or download on your gadget.

PDF editor makes it possible for you to make changes to the Osha's Form 301 Fill Online from any internet linked gadget, customise it according to your needs, sign it electronically and distribute in different means.

What people say about us

Took a little time to figure out how to use it but I got what I needed. Thank you
love it love it so much
Very easy to use and grea support. I highly recommend PDFfiller!
PDF Filler has been very helpful to me. It is easy to use and very convenient.

Complex document management, simplified

The necessity to print, certify, and hand over paper documents forces businesses to hold staff members in their office buildings, regardless of the officially accepted pandemic. Meanwhile, timely and correct using the web templates is totally real. Without a doubt, the electronic OSHA's Form 301 is the easiest way to file a form without having to leave your home. In addition, you can get it at any time from any device. Go digital and keep yourself secure.

Video instructions and help with filling out and completing Osha's Form 301

Common Mistakes

Improper bank routing or bank account number
Failure to file punctually or request an extension
Problems in numbers
Failing to get support filing your taxes
Not filing or not paying taxation punctually

Benefit Form

People also search for OSHA's Form 301

osha 300a log example
osha form 300a PDF
osha form 300 fillable
osha 301 log
osha form 301 printable PDF
free osha form 301 printable
osha incident report form template
osha accident report form
incident report form free printable
osha 300 and 300a fillable forms
osha incident report form
osha 301 PDF fillable

FAQ - Osha's Form 301

What is the purpose of Osha's Form 301?
OSHA's Form 301 is used for employer verification. The employer or manager must file a copy of the application with their employer's or company's HR department. These materials contain questions designed to verify whether the employer adheres to the employer's or manager's health and safety standard. Who is NOT required to file Form 301? OSHA does not require employers to file Form 301 because this process is primarily of administrative interest. If you are an employer or a manager making such claims, you should be sure to ask your employer or manager to file the forms. Also, you should consult with your labor inspector or the Federal Trade Commission if either agency has an enforcement interest in the matter. What documentation is required for OSHA's Form 301? A copy of Form 301 or the Application for a Form 301 should be signed by the employer or manager and the employee or representative of the employee, if any. All documents must be on company letterhead and signed by the employer or manager. What are the forms that OSHA asks employers to use? OSHA requires employers to use one of the following forms for applying for the Form 301 application: General Instructions for the Application for an Employer's Form 301 (Part 3) Standard Form 301a Application (Part 3A) Standard Form 301b Application (Part 3B) Standard Form 301c Application (Part 3C) Standard Form 301d Application (Part 3D) When is the documentation required? How long will it take to receive the application? The OSHA Form 301 application is normally processed within three weeks after application is filed. The processing time for the Form 301 application varies depending on the length of the employer's history as a participant in the HACCP program and on the availability of data. The documentation for employers who are not participating in the HACCP program will take up to six weeks to process, depending on the length of the employer's history as a participant in the HACCP program. The application is generally processed by the HR department of the employer.
Who should complete Osha's Form 301?
A Form 301 is for those who work in the construction or maintenance sector for firms that have more than five employees and are not a household employer or part-time work, such as home health care providers. Form 301 must be completed and submitted online. Are there restrictions to completing an OSHA Form 301 application? The Form 301 application process must follow certain steps: You must complete the online application. The online application is available on the OSHA website or may be downloaded and submitted electronically. You may also go to an OSHA field office and ask for additional information about Form 301. You must get permission from your employer to do so. Your employer may not ask you to submit the application. You must submit the completed Form 301 before starting work. You will need to do so by September 10, 2016. Furthermore, you must not start an OSHA investigation during the time you're waiting for permission. The OSHA investigation will be held while the Form 301 is complete. Your employer will have to sign off on the completed Form 301. If you are an employee, and you plan to file for insurance while the Form 301 is being processed, you must notify your employer before January 28, 2016. What if I forgot to complete the online application? If you forgot to complete the online application and don't know why, contact your local OSHA field office. Your employer may request additional information. What if I filed Form 301 by mail? Send your Form 301 through certified mail, return receipt requested (return receipt). You also may file it by regular mail. What if I am unable to complete the online application? Contact your local OSHA field office. They can help you with your application. For more information call 1-800-321-OSHA (6732). Is OSHA's 401(k) plan a retirement plan? Yes, the OSHA 401(k) plan is a retirement plan, and workers in the program must join the plan as soon as they are hired. Workers who are enrolled in the 401(k) plan are automatically enrolled in the plan. Only those employees who do not currently participate will have to re-enroll in the plan once the new benefit is enacted. Can I choose to take less time off after I'm hired? Yes.
When do I need to complete Osha's Form 301?
OSHA's Form 301, Employer Responsibility, is an annual report form that OSHA requires of employers who have a significant number of workers employed in the workplace on April 1 each year. The Form 301 provides employers with a detailed listing of the types of facilities and activities where OSHA regulates and/or inspects, as well as the employer's compliance history with OSHA standards and requirements and any current OSHA rule. The Form 301 is submitted annually in April. OSHA uses the required Form 301 information as a starting point for its enforcement and/or inspection activities, and requires the employer to update its compliance information in the future, if necessary. However, OSHA does not require an employer to submit a new Form 301. What do these forms have to do with me? These forms serve as a starting point for OSHA's enforcement activities and inspection activities conducted under a variety of program areas, including OSHA's Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA's OSEF). For more information please read. If you have questions about compliance with the OSHA Forms 301, please call or submit a form 301 online to receive a response in less than 24 hours. Please indicate your inquiry by emailing. If you were injured or work-related and the employer was unaware or failed to maintain the required inspection records, you may be able to file a claim for compensation under a Worker's Compensation Act (WPA). Your Claim Form 301 is used to create a claim for compensation, and if you would like to file a Claim Form 301 and OSHA Form 60-24: Worker's Compensation Application for Compensation from the OSHA National Office, you should visit to complete the Forms 301 and 60-24 forms and then refer to OSHA's website () for more information. Do these forms cover all construction businesses? This information is designed for establishments that are predominantly construction related. The employer must file OSHA's OSHA Forms 301 and OSHA's OSHA Form 60-24 for each business which carries on a construction business in Illinois.
Can I create my own Osha's Form 301?
It is legal if you use it in your workplace as a general safety tool to monitor all employees and to take prompt corrective action in all instances when the form is not used appropriately, or it is used unfairly. The following may be some examples of proper use: Employment verification checks to determine whether employees have a workplace-related medical condition that is likely to adversely affect their health or safety. Enforcement of employers' safety policies. An evaluation of an employer's employee handbook, including questions about the types of work activities and hazards involved. A report to establish whether the employer is doing what it is required to do under the law. A summary of employee complaints. How do I file a Form 301? You can file Form 301 by emailing OSHA at calling, or by writing to OSHA-311, Department of Labor, P.O. Box 60323, St. Louis, MO 63. You may also mail or fax Form 301 to the address, at the top of the form. To file a Form 301 online at, choose the “Forms and Other Information” menu from the left side of the screen and click “Filing a Form 301.” What are the qualifications for filing a Form 301? To file a Form 301, you must be covered by OSHA's occupational safety and health program, and you must be employed by or belong to an employer/employee relationship that is covered by employer/employee health plans or collective bargaining agreements or other collective bargaining agreements. The employer/employee relationship must be either a single party relationship where one party is the sole employer or employed party or an employer/employee relationship which has a group of related employers or employees, and also must meet the requirements set forth in OCR's Rule 301(b). If not covered, we will not accept the form. Can an employer/employee relationship cover an employee's own business, or may an employee use a Form 301 to file a complaint about his or her own employer? A Form 301 is a self-certification form used for monitoring and reporting on employees working in an industry where OSHA's regulation does not apply, or where a regulation exists but is not being applied in a manner the employer and employee agree on.
What should I do with Osha's Form 301 when it’s complete?
Fill out the form and sign it; it will indicate that OSHA did its inspection. If I have been found in violations, what should I do? Inspections are taken on a random basis. You can correct, avoid and/or appeal any violations found on your resume. Learn more about correcting and avoiding violations in your State employment history. If I did not violate OSHA Standards, what should I do with OSHA's Form 301? OSHA will keep a record of each person who was found in violation of ASH Act Standards. If ASH Act standards are not satisfied, you should contact OSHA's regional Office of Compliance in your State employment area. Most complaints will be settled through private agreement between the employee and employer. If you were a federal executive and did not violate OSHA Standards, what should you do with OSHA's Form 301? Most federal executive employees are not covered by OSHA Standards. For Federal employees, please contact either the U.S. Office of Personnel Management (OPM) or the Office of Special Counsel (OSC). The OPM and OSC are responsible for monitoring compliance with their respective laws that may impact federal executive employees. If my employer, firm or employment agency violated OSHA Standards, what should I do with OSHA's Form 301? Learn more about the legal consequences of a violation. If my employer, firm or employment agency was not found liable, what should I do with OSHA's Form 301? OSHA does not issue citations in such situations. In these situations, employers can file for an appeal. When an employer files for an appeal, OSHA will conduct a final inspection. OSHA will not issue a citation. If that is the case, you should follow the recommendations listed above to correct, avoid or appeal violations found on your resume. What should I do if my employer is currently violating OSHA Standards? Your current employer is required by Federal law to file the Form 301.
How do I get my Osha's Form 301?
If you were injured in a work-related accident while being employed by a worker's compensation insurer or by OSHA, you may be entitled to have your injury recorded in a form that OSHA will accept for this purpose, called the Form 301. You can find the appropriate Form 301 application form on the U.S. Department of Labor's (DOL) Website, or in the form index provided below. For the worker's compensation system to be effective in collecting your injury pay, it must be clearly known to the employer and your insurance companies that you may submit this form and submit it voluntarily or at your own expense. When you request Form 301, the worker's compensation agency should send a request letter describing why you're requesting a Form 301, to the employer or its insurance representative. Your request letter should include: The name and address of the injured worker; The type of injuries you sustained, including your age. Include the dates of each injury; and. A description of the event that led to the accident. This form should only be used if you have not previously submitted a Form 301. Your request letter should be sent to: Workers' Comp C/o U.S. Dept. Of Labor. C/o U.S. Dept. Of Labor's Wage and Hour Division. Workers' Comp Safety and Health Section 1 Wacker Drive Rockford, IL 60096 Contact the U.S. Department of Labor's Bureau of Safety And Health Management for more information about requesting OSHA's Forms 301.
What documents do I need to attach to my Osha's Form 301?
A copy of your most recent job posting (as of the date the Form 301 was submitted). The job notice (usually dated) A copy of your OSHA record showing the following: (1) A signed summary of the hazards and risks involved; (2) Your OSHA safety rating; and (3) Whether you were cited for at least one type of workplace hazard in the past 3 years. What do I need to include in my OSHA Form 301? You must provide the following information, as your OSHA representative does: Your full name (last name, middle name, first name, or two last names if you are married or living together; if you are married, you must list the full names of each spouse). A complete and accurate job description that is no less than 10 pages long including the following: Position title and function. Number and location of the work site. General contact information (i.e., home telephone, home and/or office telephone numbers and e-mail address). Name and title of each member of your immediate family who may be injured during the work activity. This information must be submitted on a separate page. A brief statement describing any significant experiences during the past two years or about the previous four months; this information must be submitted on a separate page. The current job title and number, or the equivalent. For example, the equivalent of a position at a location of 1,800 gross square feet for entry-level employees could be a construction manager. The name, address and telephone number of the OSHA compliance officer. (All personnel, compliance officers and any inspectors who may be assigned to the work site, as well as the local office of OSHA, should be listed on this page.) A detailed description including a diagram of the location of the work, the hazard class or areas of concern to the employer and the hazards they are experiencing at that location. This is called a hazard analysis. Your personal contact information and a recent photograph if you have one. Who performs the hazard analysis, what does the assessment consist of, and when does it need to be performed? This analysis is performed by the employer at a regularly scheduled time. It usually involves a review of an employee's personal information as well as the safety history for the employee. This is done to determine if the employer has an active safety program and which safety features are being used.
What are the different types of Osha's Form 301?
OSHA's OSHA Form 301 is used to report employee injuries or illnesses at fixed locations. The work is performed during regular business hours and the work is in a place used for work activity (a “place of work”). The work can be performed on a job (which is what OSHA is investigating) or an object, but the work must be an integral part of the business. If the employer isn't using a protected worker at the site -- either because the employer hasn't yet hired the employee or because the job isn't work-related -- then the employer isn't doing the work and isn't required to file the form. Who does have to report the injury? Any person who works on the job (including temporary helpers), or works under the influence of drugs or alcohol, or works on a property under his or her control, that has been the scene of an injury or illness which caused physical pain or physical loss is required to report. If an employee is sick, can a supervisor or someone who isn't considered to be an employee still be required to report? Yes. An employer must report injuries or illnesses to an employee regardless of who reports it. Therefore, an employer must report any injury that comes to his or her attention. On the job, are employees required to immediately report their own injuries? Yes. All injured or sick employees (including those who aren't considered to be employees) must immediately report an injury or illness to anyone who was present and could help. For example, if an employee is suffering from asthma, then the employee may tell whoever is present that he or she has asthma. If the employer has an actual health care practitioner on duty (but is not a licensed hospital), the practitioner may contact the employee if the injury is serious. If a worker isn't on the job but is working under the direction of someone else, the employer is still required to notify the injured, ill or sick worker. What if the location where someone is injured doesn't have an OSHA-certified doctor working? Some employers have their own doctors available to employees at all times (for example, hospitals) or use a nurse practitioner and an operating room physician to handle an employee's injury. Some employers also make arrangements with another company to take over the injured worker's job.
How many people fill out Osha's Form 301 each year?
This is a valid range of estimates, depending upon the extent to which OSHA uses a broad review of the past to define exposure levels for future cases. However, OSHA's own research, using a different test methodology, indicates a potential exposure excess of around 3,800 employees each year for a total of approximately 200,000 employees annually (Ruse & Ritter 1999, cited in Lineman et al. 2002). This translates into a risk at risk ratio, or RBR, of about 4 for exposed workers (assuming an average of three exposed workers). Even if this number is accurate, however, the RBR is only one estimate that tells only a part of the story about the actual risk. OSHA can only establish a hazard classification if there are workers with documented injuries or illnesses. So, many workers who would be classifiable as having a potentially hazardous exposure are not, because there are no documented injuries, illnesses or fatalities. Of the 200,000 workers who would be exposed, only 1,200 are actually suffering from injuries or illnesses as estimated by OSHA in its analysis, leaving about 7,000 who are exposed and are therefore categorized as having no apparent risk. The other 6,400 potential exposed workers are counted in the “unknown” category, or those that OSHA has either not determined an exposure level for or is too uncertain to say what their exposure level is. Thus, there are in fact roughly 6,000 workers classified as being potentially exposed, but whose actual exposures are either unknown or too uncertain to classify. Thus, OSHA's estimate is likely much lower than the actual proportion of workers in total susceptible to occupational OSHA exposure. How many workers are required to be protected at all times? For many occupations, including those involving dangerous machinery, the “OSHA standard” is actually not that high. OSHA is proposing that only one worker per 200,000 be eligible for additional protection (P.R. 14-05). But a number of OSHA advisory committees have recommended more stringent standards for workers as a whole (Ruse & Ritter 1999; River et al. 1995, cited in Lineman et al. 2002). This is particularly true for workers in the high-risk occupations of those involved in the cleaning and maintenance of nuclear plants. A study of such workers in the early 1980s reported that a quarter of the workers had received “substandard” pay due to dangerous conditions from their employers (Chen et al. 1992).
Is there a due date for Osha's Form 301?
OSHA's Form 301 is issued once a year and provides the employer's best estimate of actual damages or estimated costs in order to plan against future accidents. However, employers are not prohibited from delaying a Form 301 to one year to reduce the administrative burden on the employer and the injured employee. If I am an injured employee and am entitled to compensation under OSHA's standards, does this affect other legal claims of my employer? OSHA's Standards and Related Standards require employers, when reasonable to do so, to identify and promptly remedy any work-related injuries or illnesses which could result in a loss of earnings from regular employment. The employer is permitted to treat injury or illness as work-related, which might affect other legal claims and/or leave the business with the less risky alternative of a reduction in hours. However, for the purposes of determining employee compensation, employees should be compensated for actual losses due to work-related hazards. If you have received compensation for a loss based on OSHA's standards and would like to know if you are entitled to additional compensation, contact the Division's Labor-Management Law Claims Clinic at. If I'm suffering from medical problems that are work-related, will they be compensated? Medical expenses under OSHA's standards typically should not be compensated without your authorization. However, any medical expenses that are specifically work- or work-related and caused by your own negligence or willful misconduct, such as the use of alcohol or drugs, must be paid. What if my employer failed to address my injury after I reported it? It is your responsibility to promptly notify your employer of injury resulting from work-related reasons. If the accident did not develop until after you first noticed the injury, you should then immediately file the Form 301 with the Bureau of Labor and Industries. If I'm suffering from medical problems that are not work-related, will it affect my future compensation? If you do not receive medical compensation for physical injuries or illnesses caused by your own negligence or willful misconduct, but you do suffer other physical injuries or illnesses that are not work-related, then you may be entitled to compensation. However, the extent of any future recovery will depend upon the facts of your particular case, the number of workdays during which you experienced your treatment or injury and the severity of your injuries. It is a good idea to consult with an experienced insurance agent or attorney concerning your specific situation.
If you believe that this page should be taken down, please follow our DMCA take down process here.